Environmentally Sustainable Systems has been providing offshore ecological services, including ornithological and marine mammal surveys, Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA), Environmental Statement chapters and Habitat Regulation Assessment reports since the early days of the UK offshore wind market in 2001. Our many years of survey, EIA and monitoring experience offshore qualify us very well to collect and analyse the data required for ornithological and marine mammal technical reports, EIA chapters and post-construction monitoring throughout the UK, Europe and internationally. We are also able to provide these ecological services for the emerging wave power and tidal energy markets.
For nine years we have been conducting boat-based ornithological surveys around the Greater Gabbard Offshore Wind Farm (GGOWF), with our teams of expert bird surveyors undertaking monthly surveys, each lasting two to four days at sea. Our final reports, on the statistical analyses of changes in bird densities across the study area with our partners Biomathematics and Statistics Scotland (BioSS), and on patterns of distribution and the completion of the monitoring programme and licence conditions with RHDHV, are due to be published in 2018. In preparation for peer-reviewed publication, Paul Gill has presented this work at three major conferences. Please call, e-mail or use our contact form to be notified of the publication dates and to receive copies of GGOWF conference presentations and reports.
Details of some of our other eighteen offshore wind farm projects are given on our Projects page and a full list and further case studies are available on request.
ESS Ecology always works with suitable survey platforms fully-compliant with industry best practice, and employs appropriately qualified and highly experienced survey personnel, data analysts, project managers and statisticians. We can analyse and interpret digital survey data collected using still and video cameras attached to aircraft to determine distributions and sensitivities and quantify avoidance, and are developing new tracking camera, LIDAR and RADAR techniques to accurately estimate bird flight heights and quantify collision risks. We can support you throughout the planning, consent and construction stages, and will provide you with objective, reliable and accurate ecological advice on all aspects of nature conservation and marine planning legislation relevant to birds and marine mammals.
Our Director Paul Gill will be directly involved in your application and construction, responding to issues and challenges at each stage, and helping resolve any problems that arise. By fully understanding the complexities involved in large-scale offshore renewable infrastructure projects, he has the expertise, experience, knowledge and skills to help you address the ecological challenges and issues you face, and advise you on timely and cost-effective solutions.
What ESS Ecology has done for offshore wind developers and can do for you:
- Liaise with marine regulators and statutory consultees
- Collect, review and analyse baseline data and background information relevant to your project
- Scope studies to highlight ornithological and marine mammal issues that will need to be assessed
- Lead and manage robust and proportionate survey and assessment programmes
- Provide, operate and advise on suitable survey platforms compliant with industry guidelines
- Deploy standard, innovative and novel bird survey methods and equipment where appropriate
- Produce technical reports including displacement and collision risk assessments and monitoring studies
- Help deliver Environmental Impact Assessment for birds and marine mammals and EIA chapters of Environmental Statements
- Recommend and design cost-effective mitigation strategies to help achieve consent, and construct your project
- Undertake post-construction statistical change and spatial variation analyses together with our statistical partner Professor David Elston of Biomathematics and Statistics Scotland (BioSS) to complete monitoring requirements specified by regulators
- Deliver post-construction monitoring reports to fulfil and close-off objectives of license conditions
If you would like further details on our services, projects and reports (particularly from our Greater Gabbard studies) please call, e-mail or fill out our contact form.