Environmentally Sustainable Systems has worked in the onshore renewables sector in the UK and abroad since 1995 and has worked on over 50 onshore wind farm sites. Our project teams offer a pragmatic, proportionate approach to tackling ecological issues faced by proposed renewable developments ranging from planning applications for small and community schemes, to Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) for very large commercial projects. We undertake a robust scoping, pre-application and ongoing consultation process, which coupled with our ecological expertise, allows us to identify and focus in on the important issues from the start at your site.
Our survey teams have undertaken comprehensive bird and all other ecological surveys and prepared delivered EIA chapters for many operational and planned wind farm sites across the UK, Ireland and Africa, applying all relevant guidelines in agreement with regulators and stakeholders. We fully understand the importance of working to strict deadlines, to the highest Quality, Environmental and Health & Safety standards, and within tight budgets.
Because ecological survey work is almost always seasonally constrained, contacting us early on will help ensure that you avoid costly delays in project schedules. Please call or contact us via our contact form to receive our attractive seasonal survey planner to help you plan for and commission key ecological surveys before annual deadlines elapse. ESS Ecology guarantees to provide you with cost-effective, pragmatic and tailored solutions on-time and to budget.
What ESS Ecology has done for onshore wind developers and can do for you:
- Consult with government, councils and key consultees on your behalf from screening and scoping to construction and any post-construction work required
- Scope studies (including desk-based studies and data searches for pre-existing records of protected species and habitats) to highlight any potential constraints and opportunities as early as possible
- Design and describe robust, proportionate and cost-effective survey and assessment programmes to reach agreement with regulators and statutory consultees
- Use our expert ecological knowledge and project management skills to co-ordinate and ensure appropriate and sufficient survey timings and effort
- Undertake Preliminary Ecological Appraisal and Extended Phase 1 Habitat surveys
- Carry out species-specific and habitat surveys (terrestrial and freshwater), using experienced, fully competent and qualified survey personnel
- Conduct a full and thorough Ecological Impact Assessment (EcIA) conforming with best practice as defined by our Chartered Institute of Ecology and Environmental Management (CIEEM)
- Deliver Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) chapters for birds, mammals, vegetation and other ecological receptors
- Provide project direction, support and planning advice to assist smooth consent for your project
- Recommend and design ecological mitigation schemes where necessary
- Provide advice on habitat enhancement, habitat compensation and habitat restoration
- Provide Ecological Clerks of Works (ECoWs) supported by expert Principal staff
- Undertake ecological monitoring including for any enhancement and mitigation measures required
- Act as an expert witness at public inquiries
If you would like further details on our services, projects and reports please call or contact us via our contact form.